Sunday, May 9, 2010

Late Breaking Campaign


Write in campaigns are few and far between in ASUW, and usually center around squirrels, jedi knights, or Middle Earth. This year, however, there is a write in campaign being organized to get people to vote for Neil Rotta for the Director of Organizational Relations.

As I have said before, both in this blog and in real life, I consider Neil to be the ideal candidate for Org Relations. He has served in the Experimental College, the largest of the four entities/enterprises ASUW operates, for two years as Assistant Director and currently Director. He has sat on the Student Technology Fee Committee for several years, serving as Chair of the committee for two years. Neil has served in the student senate for his entire career at UW.

Org Relations has to work with ASUW's entities and enterprises and represent ASUW on several committees, most notably, STF. Neil is eerily perfect for Org Relations.

Had Neil run with any of the campaigns, I would consider him a shoe in for the job based on qualifications alone. He would lend the weight of his experience to whichever ticket, and (having spoken with him) would have drawn a different crowd into the voting booth.

The facebook group was made public just last week and only has some forty members, but there are many notable faces listed as members... myself included. Organizational Relations is one race I will publicly say who will receive my first place vote, and that vote will be going to Neil Rotta. I doubt he'll be able to generate enough steam to win, but I think he deserves my vote.

Here's the facebook group.

An interesting thing to note about this campaign is that Neil is not leading it. Other people have decided to put Neil forward and recommend him to others. No, Neil is not rejecting their support... in fact, he's a member of the group too... but it's rare to see any campaign pushing for a candidate that isn't lead by that candidate.

7 comments:

  1. I'm for Neil. I have said the same thing Jono has, and what can I say, Neil is my friend, and I think he got shafted by certain parties, so it would make me proud to vote for him, him to win, and thus demonstrate a big Bronx Cheer for certain people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still shocked and disappointed that the tickets did not seek out Neil for this position. He is obviously the most qualified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Ehsan, it is rather shocking. I will say that when I mentioned his name to various people on multiple tickets, the almost universal reaction I received was "I thought he was graduating."

    It seems the tickets simply did not think he was an option. I'm blown away that they just assumed that and did not ask.

    Some did ask him after finding out that he would still be around, but Neil declined for his own reasons at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn! I saw this group 12 hours too late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So does this mean that Neil didn't endorse Rory?

    The reason I ask is because I thought she said she was endorsed by all of the entity managers / directors...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neil did endorse Rory, and stands by that endorsement. On the facebook page for the write in campaign, Neil even asks people who do write him in to list her second.

    As I said above, this campaign is being lead by people other than the Candidate.

    ReplyDelete